Saturday, March 02, 2013

Week 13

One thing I have now learned is that when you have some free time at work, enjoy it while it lasts. You never know what the world is going to throw at you next.

My Maitre de stage told me on Thursday he was going to have a meeting with a client the next day, and I'm going to be handling his file. Great! Finally something to do! I was starting to get bored, actually.

Of course come Friday, I had somehow forgotten about the meeting, and was minding my own business when Power-Lawyer walks in. That was a bit unusual, because it wasn't 11 yet, and she rarely comes to the office.

And when her first sentence to you is "JC, are you ready to work?" on a Friday morning you know you might be in for the weekend.

What I didn't know was, it was about to get much worse.

Power-Lawyer was preparing for a trial the next week, so she wanted me to start preparing some last-minute exhibits, and dig up some old information regarding assets. The file is an old one, and has been passed around in the office as previous lawyers left. 

So I'm going through some old papers, trying to figure out what they're for, and my boss reminds me we've got the meeting.

Oh. Right. Meeting then, with a client. I'm pumped!

Meeting done, back into the office, Power-Lawyer is on lunch, so I go off as well, thinking about this new client's case. There are some urgent issues, so we probably have to move quickly, and be ready to file a motion by the end of next week, if possible. I'm going to be busy!

Well, I had no idea.

Back from lunch, I hear that one of Power-Lawyer's clients just had all his property seized by the opposing party, and we had to prepare an Opposition to seizure to be served on Monday.


Power-Lawyer was enlisting another lawyer's help to draft a motion, and I was given a research assignment to come up with case law saying what the opposing party did was illegal.

One hour of research, another hour or so drafting a long letter to the opposing attorney, then took over the other lawyer's draft motion for a couple of hours.

Of course, I wasn't done, and there was still an affidavit to draft, and Power Lawyer wanted the client to sign this weekend, so at 6:30 PM on a Friday I had to bring everything home and keep drafting.

No comments: